Website Manager

Brewster Little League

Brewster Little League

The August 1954 dedication of Markel Park

The History of Markel Park


A field of our own

In 1952, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Markel, in memory of their son, John Edward, and with the support of the Southeast Recreation Commission, laid the groundwork for the John E. Markel Memorial Park on North Main Street in Brewster. Mr. Markel secured a lease for the property from the city of New York, and the project was in progress.

In August 1954, the playground area was completed and with equipment donated by the Markel family, the dedication ceremony took place. The following year the childrens' pool and Little League stadium were completed. Both were then dedicated and turned over to the town and accepted by the town Supervisor, Joseph Coccolante.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Edward and Ann Markel may have passed away, but thousands of children have derived much pleasure from playing ball on the fields, which the Markel family unselfishly donated to our town. It is with great thanks and admiration that we, Brewster Little League, pay tribute to the Markel family for their kindness and love for the children of our town.

Thank You Ann and Edward Markel.


Brewster Little League
BREWSTER, New York 10509

Email: [email protected]

Copyright © 2024 Brewster Little League  |  Privacy Statement |  Terms Of Use |  License Agreement |  Children's Privacy Policy  Log In