Academy Information

MUSC Academy Program

The MUSC Academy program is for those U10*-U19 players that want to compete at the higher levels of youth soccer. Our Academy teams are coached by certified professionals, train from August through June, and participate in high level travel leagues, such as PA West, WV Country Roads, WV Development, and the Region 1 Colonial League. The focus is on player development in a competitive setting.

* younger players U8&U9 are allowed to participate with approval from the DOC, email to get further information!

**ALL Academy Players must sign the Code of Conduct.   Click here to preview Code of Conduct


Q:       How much does it cost and fee explanation?

A:       Please click here for fee explanation.

Q:       What age bracket or team would I play on?

A:       Please click here for a more detailed explanation.

Q:        What should I consider when playing for a team?

A:        The most important consideration is where you will get the training you need to develop. Ultimately this is about improving player skills whether you play in high school, club, ODP, college, or a US National team. Learning the proper skills is one of the most important. The location of the team, the ability and experience of the coaches, and your team mates will also play a role in your selection.

Q:        How do I get on a team/ into a player pool?

Attend tryouts. Most clubs have tryouts for the coming year. Initially, each age group will post a tryout date where players can come train and be evaluated by the team’s coach. Afterwards, the coach, along with the Director of Coaching, will extend offers to players to become part of the player pool. Once a player accepts, registration needs to be completed through an online application and by providing a copy of the player’s proof of birth and other requested documentation.

Q:        What is a Primary Player?

A team is allowed to play for only one club, if the Players Travels that is their primary club and a Recreational team is allowed with WVSA assistance.  The player would be Secondary on the Recreational team.  Primary means that it is their main responsibility to participate if there are scheduling conflicts.  Also, in order to guest play you will be required to get permission from your Primary Coach.

Q:        Can a player play for more than one team?

A:        In the WVSA, a player is NOT allowed to play for more than one travel team. However, they may guest play with other teams pending approval from the coaches of each team.  Players may also play in the club’s recreational program and will be designated as “secondary.”   If this occurs, players must play for their team unless directly approved by the primary team coach.

Q:        What happens if I don’t get approval from my Primary team and participate with another team?

A:        If no approval was given, disciplinary actions may be taken by both the Club and the WVSA. In the worst case situation, a team and club may be considered in violation of recruiting as defined in WVSA Administrative Rule Book, Chapter 3, Section 3.10 and actions may be taken that may include a player’s inability to participate in the remainder of the playing season, and additional actions against the Club found in violation and the related team- specific officials.

Q:        What does a player/parent need to do to register with the Mountaineer United Soccer Club?

A:        At the MUSC website, there is a menu item titled “Registration.” By clicking on this item you will be taken to links the will be designated for Recreational and/or Academy.  Select the link that is appropriate for the level you are playing in MUSC.   By selecting the appropriate link, you will be directed to the state registration site specifically set up for MUSC. Start the process by entering the player’s legal first name and last name as it appears on the proof of birth or passport. A copy of this document used as proof must be provided to one of the Club’s Registrars through the Team’s Manager.

Q:        What if I have trouble registering online?

A:        The Affinity Sports group is on call 7 days a week to assist you.  You can contact them 3 ways, set up a ticket, send an email, or call them.  They are open 7AM to 7PM PACIFIC TIME! so you have until 10pm to catch them on the phone Mondays - Fridays, they close 3:30 PT on Sat & Sun.

 They can help you with all of your registration questions for the Affinity system.  Their phone number is 1 855 703-2571.

Q:        Can the Clubs fees be paid for through the WVSA registration site?

A:        Yes ALL BASE FEES are now set up as payments when you register.  We do not have accountants or bill collectors on staff so follow-ups on missed payments are tough for the club.  Please do your part by setting up your payments and being responsible for all fees.  MUSC may assess you an additional administrative fee for any follow-up work as it is time consuming.
             You will have the opportunity for the first time to purchase Insurance on your player fees.  If you select this option you will have the ability to file with the Insurance company for a refund for purposes such as injury during the Season.
             MUSC is essentially out of the Refund business and the insurance option allows you security to reclaim money by submitting an appropriate request through the insurance provider.
the following disclaimer AND opportunity to purchase insurance are checked as part of your registration process:
As soon as the player starts to participate in club activities all fees for the year are expected!
There is an Insurance option that you can select. 
ANY REFUNDS WILL REQUIRE THAT YOU PURCHASED INSURANCE and discussions of potential refunds are to only to take place with this provider.
Refunds are no longer an MUSC discussion.  You may insure your payments as part of this process!
If you registered and did not participate at all there is a non-refundable fee of $200.

Q:        What happens if I decide to leave my primary team?

A:        This answer can get rather complicated depending upon what the player intends to do after leaving the team. Primary Team Coaches do not have to agree to a release.

·       If a player leaves and does not intend to play elsewhere, a release can be sought and processed through the Club’s Registrar. The Coach must be in agreement with the release and the player must be in good financial standing with the Club.

·       If a player leaves and is looking to play for another team, this is called a Primary Status Release and Transfer. There can be complications with this option and it is best to work through the Coach, Manger, and Registrar when making this request.

·       If a player wishes to switch Primary and Secondary Status between the Academy and recreational teams, there is a process for this, provided that both teams and clubs are in agreement. There can be complications with this option and it is best to work through the Coach, Manger, and Registrar. 


1.     Transfers can have an impact on the ability of a team to play in the National Tournament.   It is necessary to understand these implications before agreeing to transfer either from or to MUSC. Again, all parties should consult with the Club Registrar, team coaches, and the Director of Coaching.

2.     Releases and transfers will only be processed if a player/member is in good financial standing with the current club. All fees must be paid. Any disciplinary issues must be resolved.

3.     Cup teams may not have more than 5 transfers on their roster to be eligible for the National tournament.  If the team is not playing in the National tournament,  more than 5 transfers can be allowed to join the team, if all parties are in agreement an all other rostering/team requirements are met.

4.     Teams must also be able to show eligibility of “Continuation of Team” by having at least 9 players from a roster size of 18 (11 players from a roster of 22) that have played with the team in qualification games.  Teams that are playing in regional or national leagues may have additional considerations.  Again, it is best to consult the club registrar.

5.     Players need to understand all the impacts of leaving a team for a new one within a given season.

Q:        What happens now that I am in a player pool?

A:        Outside of training and playing matches with your team, there are a few things that you can’t do. Once your primary status is determined, unless you have permission from the primary team’s coach, you may not play or talk to another team. If done so without permission, recruiting violations (WVSA Administrative Rule Book, Chapter 3, Section 3.10) may be levied. Please respect this and help keep your club and others out of trouble.

Q:        Can I talk to another team about transferring/training/playing?

A:        A player/parent must be very careful about discussing playing or training with another team once they have committed to a Primary Team.  Recruiting violations per WVSA Administrative Rule Book, Chapter 3, Section 3.10 may be considered and penalties may be assessed.

Q:        What if I don’t reside in the State of WV, can I still play for a MUSC team?

A:        The WVSA also provides directions for handling the out of state processes for all adjacent states including Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and Ohio, we will leave it to WVSA to advise on those out of state processes.

Note:  this process is done / repeated once per year prior to playing in the next soccer year ( Aug-July soccer year).

Q:        What if I was not born in the United States; Can I still play for MUSC?

A:        In most cases the answer is yes, but there are a couple of extra steps required to make it happen. Each non-US player must file for a waiver through the WVSA before being assigned to a team. The waiver application is available through the WVSA website.   Once the waiver application is completed, it must be sent along with a fee to the WVSA for processing. 

note: this process is only necessary one time to continue participation with the same soccer club (recreation or travel)

Q:        Will the team that I am on play out of state?

A:        In most instances for an Academy team, yes. For a recreational team, likely no.  A number of the MUSC Academy teams play in the Pennsylvania West Soccer Association leagues. There are a few teams that also play in the Region I leagues. The coaches and Director of Coaching will make sure your team is playing at the proper level. There is no added paperwork for the player to complete. All additional travel permits and applications will be completed by the team’s manager.

Contact Us

Mountaineer United Soccer Club

PO Box 166 
Dellslow, West Virginia 26531

Email Us:
Phone : 304-633-8743
Copyright © 2017 Mountaineer United Soccer Club  |  Terms Of Use |  Privacy Statement Login